Friday, May 01, 2009

Diamond "trading"

This isn't something I have to worry about, but word is that some diamonds being sold in Sydney are not the "real deal". Who knew that diamonds could be tampered with to enhance their colour and clarity, or to have fractures filled? And that doing so could actually decrease their worth? One gem, said to be worth about $50,000 was actually revalued at about $1,000 (but The Daily Telegraph* report was unclear as to whether the higher figure would have been for the gem before treatment or if it had been what it purported** to be.)
* I really do need to read a bit more widely, and I do, overseas press as well, but sometimes you can only find some stories in The Daily Telegraph.
** And let that be a reminder to me about how difficult it is to find a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it. Even the excellent WordBook for iPhone, actually iPod Touch, by TranCreative had a hard time helping me out on this one.

No comments: