Monday, October 27, 2008

Kindle up some interest

I tell you, this is music to my ears ... the news that Oprah (as in Winfrey) has announced her latest "new favorite thing "is the Amazon Kindle - wich is an ebook reader (as well as having some other features). So why am I excited even though I'm not going to take advantage of the code which would give me a $US50 discount on the device (although perhaps I should be given today's deep dive of the Australian dollar)? It's a small matter of content. If Oprah's endorsement of the Kindle works as well as her BookClub endorsements - and it seems that there is a perfect companionship here - there will be a burgeoning market for electronic books - and if there's a market there's also the very real possibility that more books will find their way into digital as well as conventional print - and then the rest of us who are already reading our Kindles, iPod Touches, Palms and Pocket PCs will have an even greater choice of material. Yes, yes, I know it's too much to ask to have a price drop on digital works as well - but you can't blame me for dreaming (and doing the happy dance)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen!!! I bought a Kindle about 2 months ago and love it (with a couple of minor complaints for good measure). Amazon must be peeing all over themselves in excitement with this endorsement. Good point, thought, more content via eBook format (one way or another) would be awesome! This is my biggest complaint--there are a lot of books out there, but not enough. How goes it?