Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stretch

I have downloaded a Crosswords* program by Stand Alone, Inc. on the iPod Touch and it's very nice to use - but I miss handwriting the answers in - so I'm still purchasing my copy of The Daily Telegraph so I can do the crosswords. Doing the "Two Speed" this morning, I was stumped by the clue "Stretched" (quick) or "Half distance finished up all stretched out" (cryptic). The only word that seemed to fit was "dispersed" but that seemed not quite right - as I found myself muttering as I finished filling it in "it seems like a bit of a stretch" (hmmm seemed funnier at the time). I'll have to check tomorrow to see what the answer is.
* You can download the day's puzzles - which are drawn from a number of sources including The Sydney Morning Herald - over WiFi. Puzzles are filled in via the virtual keyboard on the device and for those who are impatient (or stumped) you can check the correctness of individual letters or clues, or the entire puzzle while you are off-line.
Update: As it turns out, the answer was "distended" - which I hope I would have finally arrived at if only I had been better with my tenses/letters - having botched the across clue and working with an "s" instead of "d".

No comments: