Monday, August 18, 2008

Parting ways

Friday was my last day with the company I've been with for the last 4.5 years and I have moved in to my MOJO* stage as I try to work out what it is I want to do next - and where.
But for just for a moment I wanted to reflect on my farewell. I have never been one for being in the limelight (long story which we won't go into here) so I was tempted to decline the offer of a farewell function but relented because I did want to celebrate my time with the company. It was agreed we could be a small gathering so that's how eight of us (5 employees, 3 partners) came to be in a very nice restaurant overlooking Sydney Harbour on Thursday evening. The food and atmosphere were superb. But the highlight of the evening was definitely the effort Darien (my immediate supervisor) and American colleagues had put in to the event. Darien had emailed overseas colleagues with whom I've worked asking if they wanted to share any farewell messages at the dinner. They did - and it was truly heartwarming to be so fondly thought of by the people with whom I've worked. It was also pleasing to my partner to understand that these people had seen and appreciated the qualities that she sees in me including my attention to detail, inquisitiveness, enthusiasm and sense of humour. They had also been kind enough to present her with a basket of flowers in acknowledgement of the impact my travelling and out-of-hours work had had on her. Very nice and much appreciated. And then it was time for the surprise - the global team leads for the project I've been working on for the last 18 months had organised framing of some group pics from our team meetings and to have the team sign them. The package arrived from the US in time for my farewell.
As I said in an email to colleagues on Friday, I have learnt a lot about business, people and life during my time with the company and will cherish those memories and learnings - and this is the bit I didn't add - that I will miss working with them. It has been, quite simply, a wonderful ride with a great bunch of folk.

*Mit Out Job Okay - but not without things to do! (This is a reference to the old days of film where they would say MOS when they were filming "with out sound" - or "mit out sound" as non-English film folk would say)

No comments: