Friday, June 13, 2008

Spinning a tail

It's happened. I've become a regular at Seattle's Best - I have recognized one of the other customers - she was in here on Sunday doing a Sudoku. She is now sitting with a group of spinners - some of them with spinning wheels. It's quite amazing because just today a work pal was telling me that she would like to do spinning - and that she had a project in mind. I've never seen a spinning wheel in action in real life and wondered how it works. I am kind of listening in as a woman, obviously an experienced spinner, explains the working of a spinning wheel (I heard the word "gears"). I'm now waiting for the practical demonstration as the same woman says she has spun (digging into bag) silk and merino. Just from a casual observer point of view it seems that these Americans are way more into craft.
Certainly in all the coffee shops I've been in (and that would be a lot!), this is the first one I've shared with three spinning wheels ... and a couple of knitters. The group was kind enough to let me take their picture - and told me that there is a company (VIP Fibers) that had a booth at "Stitches" which will spin your dog's fur into yarn. Imagine that! And also that there's a spinner/knitter from Australia who does a podcast that at least one of them listens to.

No comments: