Sunday, May 04, 2008

Hot as ...

When we were told that Manila would be quite a bit hotter in May than when we were here in April, we listened but I don't think it actually sank in ... until this evening, at Manila airport as I waited for a transfer to the hotel and perspiration started flowing freely. I took off my travelling shirt (long-sleeved and with a pocket for my passport) and was grateful that I was wearing another, short-sleeve, lighter shirt underneath. But still my hair was saturated - and not even the glow of the nearby fireworks could make me feel more appreciative of being here. But hopefully I will acclimatise quickly - although it could be that Brian, who checked me into the hotel, might not think so. When he asked me how many keys I would like for the room - I said "one" because there is only one of me. He suggested perhaps two, so I could leave one in the slot near the door for running the air conditioner even while I was out. And even though I care about the planet, I must admit it was a very tempting offer ... but when push came to shove - when I was coming down to have a coffee just now - I just couldn't leave it there. I'm now almost looking forward to that cold shower when I go back upstairs. It's a far cry from last week when I was having trouble getting my freezing fingers in Sydney to do my (typing) bidding! I know. Some people are just never happy.

No comments: