Monday, April 07, 2008

Manila

I had my first taste of the Philippines tonight as I caught a hotel transfer from the airport to my lodgings for the week. I have never seen so many people on the one motor bike – unless you count the sheep on Wallace’s motorcycle in “A Close Shave” – but they weren’t actually people. I saw up to 7 (it was a little hard to tell in the dark) on the one machine – thanks to some amazing engineering which results in quite a large frame around the bike chassis which then provides generous seating for passengers. I will be trying to capture this in photos over the next couple of days, as well as the buses I saw tonight. But I have to admit that the thought of riding the buses palled a little when I saw some of the passengers covering their noses and mouths with handkerchiefs – and they were very serious about it!

No comments: