Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Selective Attention

I'd prefer to read the "Letters to the Editor" in The Sydney Morning Herald - but their e-version now excludes that, as well as the very wonderful "Column 8". So as I sit looking at The Daily Telegraph, at their Letters page, which also includes their "Blog on ... Hot topic" I am amazed at the subject: Woman murdered, road rage with hammer.
The subject matter for the blog is usually drawn from the previous day's edition - which I distinctly remember reading, but have no recollection at all of this item. I can only think that I just didn't see it - the same way the brain doesn't allow one to see something which it knows is going to be distressing: for example, in some instances people driving past the scene of an accident have not seen the covered body at the roadside - as if the brain says "nope, not letting that in". Amazing, but true.

No comments: