Monday, February 25, 2008

Muscle memory

I spent several moments the other day wondering why the IR between my computer and Palm wasn't working. Usually when you place the Palm in front of the IR port, a distinctive "blttt" sound from the computer signals when the IR link is established and that files can be beamed. When the "blttt" didn't happen, I moved the Palm out of range and tried again ... nothing ... and again ... until finally I realised that I had earlier moved the computer to the port replicator - and I was actually trying to use the keyboard (not the computer) for the transfer -and there was no way that was going to happen. But it was a wonderful example of "muscle memory" - where the do the same thing you're used to doing without actually having to engage brain.

No comments: