Sunday, February 24, 2008

By the book

I had occasion to visit a "bricks and mortar" bookstore yesterday and I was stunned at how "out of practice" I am. How difficult is it to go into a huge room with rows and rows of shelving trying to find one book in particular*, not being familiar with where they keep certain types of books, and not being able to use the computer at the Information station because it is marked "Staff Use Only" - and there not be any staff in sight? How easy is it - and how easy is it to get used to - logging in to your favourite eBook site on the web, typing the name of the book you're after into the search field, and almost instantly finding out if they have it or not. But alas, the novel I'm after isn't available in eBook form so I'm off in search again today - perhaps I'll try a smaller bookstore - with obvious staffers - or a library.
But it does show how easily we can get out of the habit of being a browser (that would be the "gatherer" part of "hunter and gatherer") meandering through the bookstore shelves looking for something of interest!
* "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
* "Affinity" by Sarah Waters

No comments: