Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Surgical procedures

Rhode Island Hospital may not be the best place to be if you're in need of brain surgery. Three times this year different doctors have operated on the wrong side of patients' heads - in February (patient survived), August (patient didn't make it), and November (patient survived). The hospital has now issued a statement saying it was re-evaluating its training and policies, providing more oversight, and giving nursing staff the power to ensure procedures are followed, among other steps. As to why this wasn't thought of after the first or second incident wasn't immediately apparent in the report I read - which was titled "Hospital Learns That It Really Is Brain Surgery".

1 comment:

Deb said...

I remember when I went in for my kidney op and I had to put a big cross in marker pen on the side they were to operate on, I was a bit nervous from that moment on especially when every person I met from the time I was admitted asked me which of my kidneys was 'sick', As If it wasnt obvious by the cross on my side and my telling them it was the left one. The nurses told me it was proceedure but I kept thinking it was because they had made a few mistakes. When I woke up after the op I kept checking to make sure they had got it right. I think if it happens again I will be writing on the non operative side 'operate on other side' thay way they should get it right.