Monday, December 03, 2007

Memories

I make notes "on the run" because I know that once a thought escapes my brain, it is often gone for good. Going through my notebook (OK, I admit it, it's the Notebook application on the Palm TX) I found this: "...and then I remembered all the nightmares about large animals ramming the car" - which, quite surprisingly, was a mere 20 hours before I was 30 metres away from two rhinoceroses - in the passenger seat of the safari jeep - with the engine turned off and hearing the guide tell me "they've charged this vehicle before" - AND YOU'VE GOT THE ENGINE TURNED OFF? "You just watch them" she said, and took out the binoculars to scan the distance for buffalo.
Of course, I only screamed "and you've got the engine turned off" in my head because I didn't want to startle the rhino. It also occurred to me that this was one thought I would never have to write down in order to remember it. Which makes me wonder if terror/fear has the same effect for everyone - and how horrible that would be -to be able to so clearly remember exactly those things that you would most want to forget.

No comments: