Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sunday sights

This should have gone with the last lot of pics but I was so busy trying to get them into a table ...
More sightseeing in San Francisco today - but not as much as I'd thought I would squeeze in. Might have something to do with the 11km walked yesterday - but it was fun - except that by lunchtime today - with another 8km up, I realised my feet were very sore and ready for a decent rest. I'd arranged for a car from the hotel at 6pm, hoping I'd be able to meet up with some friends who were flying into San Fran cisco today, but in the absence of word from them - I brought the car forward and here I am at 6pm, in San Ramon having a dry ginger ale and some pretzels while my laundry is quietly agitating in the laundry. And just as well too as I am down to my last sets of things (no need to go into details here). It's funny how places you've been before can seem familiar and fill one's heart with a feeling of comfort (or something akin to it). Can't wait to get home now and experience that feeling for real.
But first, some pictures from today's wanderings and Muni rides. I started out at Third Street and made my way up past the Meteron where lots of children were excitedly waiting to visit the Titanic Exhibit. Just before then, for those who know San Fran, there's the Sony shop - and I would have been prepared to excitedly visit it and openly (figuratively) salivate over the new Sony UX UMPC - oh, if only they'd been open - probably a good thing they weren't!!
Hmmm. If I'm going to describe the whole day - it could take a while. So, the short version. I took the F
Trolley to Castro and saw the biggest rainbow flag ever - and wondered where the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Choir - about to be in San Fran - are staying. Then back into town to have a wander around the markets at the United Nations Plaza. I think this is a less desirable part of town - and I would suggest that it is coloured by lots of neon and possibly some adult shops at night. Another short trolley ride took me back to California Street - and a visit to the Hyatt right next to cable car turn-round (although this one doesn't have the same turntable or crowds as Powell Street). Then it was down to Pier 1 and along that stretch - including a wander up to the TransAm building (the pyramid-shaped building). On the way there, I found a film crew although I couldn't tell what they were filming - although from the looks of the bikes, it could have something to do with motorcycle cops. I had a look at the cop/actors, but no-one looked familiar ... yes, yes, I know that, with my facial recognition skills, that means nothing!
Then I went along the pier fronts to have a proper look at the Bay Bridge (top level goes into San Fran, bottom level goes away from ... ) - and that was when I chanced upon the installation art. I know we have some BIG things here in Australia - but the mother and daughter (I have made the assumption that this is the intended relationship) and bow/arrow are up there. I am unsure of the symbolism of the life-sized and illuminated chef on the other side of the road.
I feel as though I know San Francisco a little more after this weekend - not yet enough, but it's a decent start.

No comments: