Friday, July 07, 2006

Casting votes

After looking at the poll on ninemsn.com the other day, I was intrigued about other polls held on site. Today's question was: Do you feel safe from a terrorist attack? I would have liked to have voted, but I couldn't decide. YES, I don't think a terrorist attack is likely in Sydney - but you never NO. I suppose a very different picture of the world has been painted by Governments post-9/11 - and because there are attacks that do happen, on too often a basis, it would be foolish to think anywhere is absolutely safe from terrorist attack. (I know that with a trip to the US coming up in the next few weeks, I have thought very hard about being on US-owned planes over US air space.)

The BBC News reports that one in three people in the UK regularly suffers paranoid or suspicious fears, clinical psychologists have found. Other findings:

* Over 40% of people regularly worry that negative comments are being made about them

* 27% think that people deliberately try to irritate them

* 20% worry about being observed or followed

* 10% think that someone has it in for them

* 5% worry that there is a conspiracy to harm them

But help is at hand: A new website - paranoidthoughts.com - is being launched to provide information on paranoid thoughts, advice on seeking help, and opportunities for people to share their experiences.

No comments: