Friday, October 21, 2005

Sheltered?

Had a wonderful and unexpected moment on the way home this evening. It was raining, not heavily but persistently and enough to get you drenched if you were out in it long enough. As I stood at the corner waiting for the lights to change the woman standing next to me moved her umbrella over so it was sheltering us both - while she simply said "look at me standing here with it just over me". She walked me over York St and George St before leaving me under cover and with a final call of "stay dry" she went on her way up Market St - a good Samaritan in search of another good deed. I'm sure I felt my faith in humanity meter go up a couple of notches. Although that may also have been because she's been staying with an elderly relative helping them sort out the house before the move into retirement care on the 28th of this month. The house has been in the family 92 years - and the item that most amazed my umbrella provider was the relative's sewing basket - with bits passed down from generation to generation of women. "You can tell from it that those were the days when women stayed at home and looked after the family" she assured me, and added, I thought perhaps a little wistfully "not like today."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi karen
loved this storey it really restores the faith!
have been puzzled by your fair well the other day at the cafe and have not seen you since. hope all is well.
love lisa x
the lobbycafe@bigpond.com