Monday, September 05, 2005

Need a cuppa?

I take part in online surveys for cash - not that it's a big source of income; I've been doing them for years and my total take home -should I ever redeem my balance is less than $70.
But I see it as a way of keeping my finger on the pulse of what's happening next in the retail world. I may even have, in some small way, helped prevent self-saucing microwave fish from bursting onto the market!
It's also an opportunity to stare into the minds of marketers and glimpse how they think our minds might work - and how they might use this to their advantage.
Case in point: a recent survey for a brand of tea. Here's part of the survey:
Sometimes we associate a personality to different brands. The following list contains several different words that express personality traits. Now that you have watched this ad, please tell us how much you agree or disagree that each trait is associated with the brand XXXXXXXX. There aren't any right or wrong answers – it’s just your impressions we’re interested in.
The list included: Conservative, Approachable, Honest, Modern, Intimate, Elegant, Down-to-earth, Exclusive, Sophisticated, Snobbish, Old-fashioned, Stylish and Posh -
probably all - and more - that anyone could ever wish their tea to be! Beverage, anyone?

No comments: