Sunday, June 05, 2005

Life's little mystery #xx?

In the mailbox on Friday night came news that there was a registered post item for me at the Post Office. I have not received anything by Registered Post for - well, I can't remember the last time. It might have been my new passport 5 years ago - but I don't think so. And who uses Registered Post anymore anyway? I've decided it must be either valuable (and insured as one can with RegPost) or someone wants my signature (but you could do that with Certified Post) - but the card says that I can send an agent to sign if I want to - so it can't be a legal document requiring my signature (there was a box for that on the form too). It could be good news - or bad news - although I guess it could be neutral, but if that was the case, why would somebody bother sending it RegPost - cause you have to physically go to a Post Office to send a RegPost item - not just pop it into the mailbox on the corner.
Suffice to say I am intrigued. I fronted the Marrickville South Post Office at 9am yesterday morning (some Post Offices are open on a Saturday) only to be told that it was at the other Marrickville Post Office - and of course that one's not open on a Saturday. Monday morning 9am will be the earliest I can access it - whatever it is.
Whatever it is - I have had a moment to think about something Stephen King the writer says about his stories.: he puts his characters in a "what if" position - and sees what happens from there. It's funny but I don't think we do "what if's" a lot - or maybe that's a generalisation because I know I don't. But trying to think about what this RegPost item is - all the possibilities, and how it taps directly into my fears (what if it's something bad - and how bad could it be - and surely if the Tax Department were planning to do an audit they would contact me through my accountant!) or my hopes (what if we're won a competition - they'd probably send advice by RegPost) is exciting. Just hope the real thing isn't too much of an anti-climax (and that it's not bad news!).

No comments: