Saturday, April 30, 2005

Selling up

... or would that be "up selling" as in "would you like fries with that" or, as I had yesterday when I went to my Health Fund's Eye Care Centre "well, because you wear multifocals then you are going to need sunglass clip-ons that are exactly the same shape as your glasses, and since the manufacturer has no more of the clip-ons that came with your frames, then you'll need to get new frames with new clip-ons. But it's okay because you've got this year's allowance of $170 ...". Yes, $170 sounds like a lot of money, but not when you think that it's only going to go a fraction of the way of covering the cost of the new frames - and, naturally, the new lens to fit the new frames. I said "thank you" but "no thank you" and walked slowly back to the office - quite disheartened that the first optometrist I'd tried didn't have the right size in the clip-ons that seemed to do the trick quite nicely. Yes, I know I might have been missing something, but it just seemed like a bit of an "up sell" - and the only thing that gets up is my back, and possibly my nose!

No comments: