Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Department S

I just happened to be in KMart yesterday, looking for a phone double adapter and a modem cable, when I chanced upon their DVD sale. I managed to get "Harvie Krumpet", "SuperSize Me", and "Being John Malkovich" for under $10 each. But I'm hoping the real bargain will be something called "Department S" - a cult tv series of the late 1960's by the same people who gave us "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)" - I used to love that show!
Department S came in a 7-DVD boxed set and I read on the internet this morning that this was every episode ever made. On the cover, it bills it as the precursor to shows such as "X-Files" and Jonathan Creek". Is it any wonder that I decided to part with my $30 on the off-chance that it was decent. If nothing else, being nearly 40 years old, there's a good chance there's going to be some "new" ideas in there. I've started watching the first episode "Six Days" - in which a commercial airliner goes missing for (oddly enough) 6 days and the crew/passengers have no knowledge/recollection of their disappearance. I had the oddest sensation while watching it though - in one scene I could have sworn I was watching the "Thunderbirds" but they'd been transformed into real, and admittedly less jerky, people. And there's nothing like '60's fashions - really!
If nothing else, this is a great reminder of how far we've come with technology in our everyday lives.

No comments: