Wednesday, March 30, 2005

A good belt(ing)

Police utility belts seem to be causing some concern for local NSW officers. The gear they carry on their belts - 11 items weighing around 6kg - seems to be causing injury to some officers. A survey by the NSW Police Association found about 800 officers complained of aches and pains caused by the belt. All the items on the belt are essential so the focus is on changing the belt so it is more user-friendly. Might it become a harness?
The cause of the problem? It appear to be the coincidence of the abolition of the height requirement for people joining the service and an increase of the number of items the constabulary are required to carry (on their belts).
There are some who think I carry a lot in and from my bumbag. I am pleased to report that mine weighs only 1.4kg so I have a long way to go before I catch up!

No comments: